In this article we will speak about data recovery from SSD drives based on Silicon Motion SM controllers. This types of CPU are very popular and usually they are using in a wide number of different value and low-level solid state drives.
At this moment exist several modifications of SM controllers which you can find in inside of common value models of SSD:
- SM2246 Family (this controller is usually working in pair with MLC NAND chips);
- SM2256 Family (this controller is usually working in pair with TLC NAND chips);
- SM2258 Family (this controller is usually working in pair with TLC 3D NAND chips).
We recommend to use the following Utilities for SM cases:
- If your SSD has SM2246EN – use Crucial SiliconMotion Utility;
- If your SSD has SM2246XT – use Sandisk SiliconMotion Utility;
- If your SSD has P3XV60 – use Sandisk SiliconMotion Utility;
- If your SSD has SM2256K – use ADATA SiliconMotion Utility;
- If your SSD has SM2258H – use ADATA SiliconMotion Utility;
- If your SSD has SM2258G – use Plextor SiliconMotion Utility;
- If your SSD has SM2258XT – use SmartBuy Jolt SiliconMotion Utility;
Basically there is no difference between them when you are using Active Utilities for data recovery, and the steps of drive initialization would be always the same. Also, the list of officially supported drive is the following:
ADATA SP550 ADATA SU650 (SM2258XT) ADATA SU800 (SM2258G) VIDEO! AMD Radeon R3 (SM2256K) Apacer AS350 Panther AMD Radeon R5 CFast Lexar Professional 3400 Corsair Force LX Crucial BX100 Crucial BX500 (SM2258XT) KingDian S200 KingSpec PA25 (SM2236G) Lite On LCH-256V2S-11 ARTICLE! Patriot P200 Plextor M6V Plextor S2C PNY CS1111 RevuAhn 850X RevuAhn 900T PRO RevuAhn 885 Sandisk SSD Plus (SM2246XT) Silicon Power Slim S55 (SM2258XT) Smartbuy Jolt WD Green (SM2258XT) Transcend TS256GSSD360S (P3XV60 =SM2246XT) + many other drives based on SM2246 (except for the Intel modifications which are not supported!) and SM2258
If your drive is also based on SM controller, but it is not in the list of supported models, please contact our TS Department – we will try to help you!
So, right now we have Crucial BX100 120Gb drive based on SM2246EN controller modification which is goes in READY state but it passport ID is not complete and drive does not provide access to user data:
After attempt to reach the data in Universal Utility, we get the same pattern data in all sectors:
Choosing Loader Uploading in SAFE MODE:
Drive must be shorted in SAFE MODE for normal LDR microprogram uploading. Taking tweezers, and searching the same shorting points as marked on the picture:
Full passport details have been appear, LDR has been uploaded correctly:
Next step – Translator creation. This process might be done with two ways – manual, like described below, or automatic (for auto translator building just create new task in DE based on Active Utility, and translator will be created by itself, automatically).
When translator will be created, we will need to switch window to Data Extractor. Create new task there, and chose PC-3000 Active Utility as source device:
That’s all! Data will be available for saving 🙂
Example of recovery CFast card using PC-3000 SSD and cheap adapter from aliexpress.com
Video was created by Data Track System
CFast to SATA adapter